Teewah Beach Camping Area | Family Friendly Camping THE REVIEW
Camping in Cooloola
Double Island Point / Teewah Beach is just past Noosa, approximately two and a half hour drive from Brisbane. Before you go, you need to book your campsite through http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/ . You can also purchase your 4WD vehicle permit at the same time, or there is a ranger’s office right before you hop on the ferry where you can purchase it. The ranger’s office can also supply a number of maps and information about the area.
To get to Teewah Beach, you drive onto the Noosa Car Ferry cable ferry from Tewantin, where it is a two minute cable ride to the island. There is no need to book the cable ferry, as they are open opened from Sunday to Thursday 5:30am to 10:30pm and Friday and Saturday 5:30am to 12:30am. The ferry runs every six minutes. Make sure you bring cash for the ferry though as there is no EFTPOS.
Once you are on the island you follow the signs to Teewah Beach and drive approximately 20 kilometres north of the 3rd cutting along the sand to the camping section. Driving on the beach is best done within 3 hours either side of low tide.
There are no set campsites, so pick an area and set up. Once set up you can relax and enjoy the lovely view from your campsite.
We spent three nights at this gorgeous location with another family between the Christmas / New Year period. We spent our days sitting around our campsite enjoying the beautiful view while the children played.
We rarely left our campsite, as we would stock up on ice when the ice vans came along each day. During the day we would set up an umbrella on the beach and play in the sand and ocean. At dusk we would fish in the ocean and an actual fish was caught! The sand dunes also provided fun jumping off them or sliding down on the boogie boards!! Each night after dinner we would light sparklers to entertain the children.
The kids had such a great time and made their own fun in and around the campsite. It is such a beautiful location that we cannot wait to go to Teewah Beach again.
Facilities at Teewah Beach Camping Area
- As this is beach camping, there are no facilities, so make sure you bring everything!
- If you do forget anything, there is a shop on Noosa North Shore which is only 10 minutes away at low tide, longer at high tide or you can always catch the ferry back to Tewantin where this are a wide range of shops.
- There are also 3 or so ice trucks that drive along the beach daily selling ice, newspapers, ice creams, drinks, hot pies etc.
- Also note there is no mobile phone coverage
Activities to enjoy at Teewah Beach Camping Area
- The beach is literally right at your doorstep.
- Double Island Point and Rainbow Beach is an hour drive up the beach, Freshwater, Red Canyon the Cherry Venture Memorial and Double Island Lighthouse are all good visiting sites. As well as a short trip over to Fraser Island. For the shoppers, a day trip into Noosa is always an option too.
- Other activities also include:
- Dune tobogganing
- Beach swimming/surfing
- Beach 4WDing
How to make the most of your stay at Teewah Beach Camping Area
- As it is a 4WD accessible area, it pays to watch your children very carefully on the beach as the cars tend to go fast.
- Some essential to include are:
- Drinking water
- First aid kit
- Toilet paper
- Fuel or gas stove
- Insect repellent etc.
- Portable toilet
- Only low decibel generators up to 2.0Kva are permitted between 7am and 9pm.
- It would pay to also bring cash for the ice trucks and ferry.
Teewah Beach Camping Area is located along Teewah Beach in a 15km zone between the Sunshine Coast Regional Council boundary and Little Freshwater Creek; 20km north of 3rd cutting on the Noosa North Shore.
Please visit their website for more information – http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/cooloola/camping.html#teewah_beach_camping_area
Thanks to Lisa for this camp site review!
Take a look at the Brisbane Kids list of Your Favourite Camping Spots for lots more recommended family camp locations to explore, like Lake Ainsworth Holiday Park. We will have many more campsite reviews coming in the very near future.
4 responses to “Teewah Beach Camping Area | Family Friendly Camping THE REVIEW”
Keep Up To Date With Brisbane Kids!
Like our page to get the latest news & things to do in Brisbane with kids fresh in your newsfeed!