New Farm Park and Playground at New Farm
New Farm Park at New Farm is one of Brisbane’s most popular parks and playgrounds, best known for its magnificent, shady fig trees.
New Farm Park – The Fun
To call New Farm Park a ‘park’ is a slight understatement, considering it occupies approximately 37ha of land and sees over 15000 visitors and Brisbane Kids each weekend. The New Farm playground consists of an impressive fort-like tree-house with an expansive bridge walk that winds like a hobbit trail through the ageing fig trees that define this park. It is a climber’s paradise, with a good cover of mulch to protect the inevitable tumbles.
A quick stroll away from the playground takes you towards the Brisbane River where you can enjoy a lovely stroll with great views. There are large plain grass grounds across the road from the playground, where kids can fly a kite or ride their bikes. The park also has lots of decorative flowers arranged throughout which adds to the scenery and they are renown for their impressive rose gardens and iconic bandstand.
Climb the rope climbing frame and be spiderman, a fairy, an astronaut, or a knight in shining armour, saving damsels in distress from the dragons on the ground. Climb over the dragon’s eggs, ride the dragon spring-rockers. The huge wooden treehouse and boardwalk that are built around and through the fig trees provide a great stage for lots of imaginative games for children.
Swings, slides, music, merry-go-rounds – so much to keep your child entertained for hours. And if you are still looking for more, why not take a picnic and find a grassy patch on the river bank to have your lunch. This is also the perfect Brisbane park for birthday parties due to the sheer volume of space and shade available.
Special Needs considerations
There are disabled toilets adjacent to the playground, with a small change room and bench. There are lots of paths around the playground giving good access for prams or wheelchairs. Picnic tables have space for wheelchairs and are the correct height.
- Fort style playground
- Playground equipment for a variety of ages over a soft-fall, bark, gravel and sand base
- Shade and climbing trees
- Giant rope climbing frame
- Music stations
- Dragon themed area
Facilities at New Farm Park
- Open grassy spaces
- Croquet lawns
- Electric BBQs
- Accessible toilet facilities
- Water fou
- Bike and walking paths
- Onsite cafe for coffee and plenty of cafes nearby
- Carparking in the park and in surrounding streets (disabled parking available). Just to note, parking is probably the biggest drawback of New Farm Park, not because there isn’t plenty, but because it is such a popular park). There is both on and off-street car parking available (check signage for costs).
- Free council WiFi
- Accessible by public transport (ferry, bus or CityCat)
- The park opens at 8.30 am and closes at 11pm
- New Farm Park is located next to the Powerhouse Museum which in addition to hosting a number of cultural and art events, also hosts a popular Saturday farmers market.
Another central Brisbane Playground is Roma Street Parkland.
New Farm Park is located on Brunswick Street at New Farm.