Things for families to do in Samford
They say it takes a village to raise a child… family-friendly Samford Village, situated north-west of Brisbane, may be the perfect place to do just that. A picturesque and bustling country town with an amazing range of family-friendly events, services, parks, and places to eat, it’s a destination that’s well worth the drive to visit.
Family-friendly places to eat in Samford
When your kids are famished, Samford has an impressive number of family-friendly places to eat, with everything from organic cafes to homely pubs.
- Collies & Co. is a cafe where your meal comes with a side of puppy cuddles! In conjunction with Animal Rescue QLD, the staff at Collies & Co. gove diners the opportunity to pat and play with a litter of puppies in a supervised environment, which aids in the puppies’ socialisation and well being.
- The Flying Nun is a café serving delicious food within an old church building and is situated right next to the Harry-Potter-themed Store of Requirement and across the road from John Scott Park and playground.
- Samford Chicks is a family-owned and operated business serving homemade chicken nuggets with free-range chicken. They even stock organic soft drinks!
- Read our review of the Samford Valley Hotel – a venue that welcomes kids with a children’s menu and large play area.
- Cafe Lagarto and The Lifestyle Centre is one of the few places in Australia where you can bring your horse to dine at the café with you! There’s even a children’s playground and farm walk with miniature goats and other animals.
- Samford Seafood and Burger Bar have high chairs and kid-friendly meals – another great option!
Family-friendly events in Samford
There’s always something happening in Samford for families, and everyone is welcome. Check out the Brisbane Kids Events Calendar to keep updated with the latest.
- The monthly Samford Valley Markets is a lovely morning out in the village for Brisbane families.
- Samford has some amazing local artists, some of whom run kids’ art classes, and many participate in an arts trail each June. Check out their Facebook page for all the details.
- The Samford Show is held in July each year and is perfect for families wanting the experience of a show, without the crowds of The Ekka. The pig races, pet parade, rides, displays and exhibitions (plus the obligatory fireworks) make for a memorable day out for the whole family.
- The Samford Valley Steiner School Festival (Festivalley) runs every two years and features activities for children including silk painting, candle making, woodworking, felting and gem fossicking.
- Moreton Bay Regional Council and other community groups also host regular family events in Samford, including movie nights in the John Scott Park.
Family-friendly places to visit in Samford
There is so much to see and do in Samford that you could spend the whole day, or longer!
- Drive through Samford’s countryside and try to spot a kangaroo, cycle the bike trails alongside horse riders or browse the eclectic mix of stores and eateries along Main Street.
- Get your Harry Potter on at the Store of Requirement (situated next to the Flying Nun Cafe) or at The Three Quills (located within the Samford Lifestyle Centre). Both stores sell Harry Potter merchandise as well as host magical birthday parties.
- The Samford Museum offers a trip down memory lane, or the nearby Lyell Deer Sanctuary allows kids to pet and feed rescued deer.
- Samford Conservation Park makes a nice spot for a picnic and some light bushwalking. Right in the centre of town is the John Scott Park with children’s playground, BBQ and toilet facilities.
- Cedar Creek Falls and Andy Williams Park are two well-known rock pools only minutes in the car from Samford.
Family-friendly services in Samford
Old fashioned service is still alive and well at Samford Village. There are a number of high-quality health services and health professionals based in Samford, as well as schools: Samford State School, Mount Samson State School and Samford Valley Steiner School. And Samford’s Riding for Disabled Centre is a brilliant community service that provides therapeutic and recreational riding programs for children and adults with a disability. The only danger with a trip to Samford is that you may end up at the local real estate agent’s office, drooling over the beautiful homes and properties for sale in the area.