Autism Support | Brisbane
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a term to used to describe a range of traits and conditions that present in certain children. Common Terms sometimes used to explain these specific conditions include Autism, Aspergers or sometimes you may hear terms like Sensory Processing Disorder, Global Developmental Disorder and others that are used to describe traits within these conditions.
What you will find on this website related to Autism
- An ASD playgroup run by Aspergers Services Australia
- Therapists that can help with ASD
- A mobile hairdresser who has cut many kids hair who have autism
- Movie Days especially for kids on the spectrum
- Autism Behavioural Support Queensland for Applied Behavioural Analysis support, as well as providing an awesome toy and book resource library.
- Brisbane Support Groups for Autism Because autism is a challenge best met with friends and supporters.
- AEIOU Foundation: Creating a lifetime of opportunities for children with autism AEIOU Foundation provides leading early intervention and care to children with autism aged 2 – 6 years.
- The Lowrie Family | An AEIOU Foundation Family Case Study For retired NRL premiership winner Todd Lowrie and wife Sally, their son’s first day of school was a day they had originally envisaged very differently, had it not been for AEIOU Foundation.
Why you want to learn more about Autism Support in Brisbane
- You suspect your child might be on the spectrum
- You have just received a diagnosis
- You have a diagnosis and are seeking more information and more support.
- You are already well on the road, even several years in and just want to revisit the plan
What to do and where to go if you think your Brisbane Kid has ASD
- Visit your GP and get a referral to a paediatrician.
- Visit websites like raisingchildren.net who will offer information on traits you might want to be looking for.
- Keep a diary so when you present to your GP you will have some consistent patterned information to give them
- A paediatrician, psychiatrist, psychologist or another trained professional in ASD can diagnose a child with ASD.
- If you aren’t happy then get a second diagnosis
So you child has been diagnosed with ASD- What next?
- Get in touch with Autism Queensland
- Check out all the different Therapies related to Autism available to you. This will include speech therapist, occupational therapists and psychologists.
- Playgroups for kids with Aspergers in Brisbane
- Have a look at the different early intervention programs available through organisations like AEIOU and others you can find via Autism Queensland.
- Explore your funding options – find out what you can and cant claim for. Be clear about that and really maximise these funds.
- Notify your child’s daycare or school and find out what support they can offer
- Find specialised Autism Medical Professionals. If you go through Autism Queensland you may be able to access one under the FACSIA system which means that if you are receiving funding you will not have an out of pocket expense
- For general information, you can call the 24 Autism Hotline
Keep Up To Date With Brisbane Kids!
Like our page to get the latest news & things to do in Brisbane with kids fresh in your newsfeed!