The State Library Queensland | The Corner
The Corner at the State Library for kids
The Corner is a permanent space at the State Library Queensland, open every day 10am – 3pm, designed for kids 0-8 years where they can use their hands, minds and bodies to explore and engage in creative play, reading, digital exhibitions and online games with a child centred approach.
Free activities for kids at the State Library Queensland
The Corner has lots to do! Activities can include
- Paper crafts, with paper, felt pens and pencils, glue, sticky tape and scissors to create a masterpiece to display or take home
- Dolls, blocks, puppets and dress-up costumes for manipulative and social play
- Stage area to foster dramatic play
- Projection equipment to display exhibitions and give a backdrop for the stage
- Comfy reading spaces with books to discover
- Computers with games, books and activities available
- Arts workers also facilitate various activities daily 10am-12noon on different subjects, which can include singing, playing, reading, cooking, making, exploring and physical activities like yoga
There are many opportunities for play – discovery, physical, creative, imaginative, manipulative and social play at The Corner. Themes in The Corner change regularly so the content remains fresh and interesting for regular visitors.
Accessibility for Brisbane Kids
The Corner is on the entry level of the library (level one) in the right hand front corner of the building. A ramp or stairs provide access with all activities at just the right height for kids. Pram parking is adjacent to the area, with parents and carers invited to take part in the activities.
Transport is not an issue at the State Library
The Corner at State Library Queensland is easy to get to – and easy to find at Stanley Place, South Brisbane, 4101. Those using public transport can catch a bus to Cultural Centre Busway or GOMA bus stop, or a ferry and alight at the South Bank CityCat stop. Trainspotters can use the South Brisbane train station. Travelling by car? Parking is available at the Cultural Centre car parks, South Bank Parklands or Brisbane Exhibition Centre, and fees apply. You could even finish up the day with a dip in Southbank Lagoon
The State Library Website
The Corner also has its own website for kids http://thecorner.slq.qld.gov.au/home.html. Here kids can access games and activities, read virtual books and see the exhibitions currently on display in The Corner.
The Corner in located with the State Library of Queensland, Stanley Place, South Brisbane.
The Library Café
Queensland Performing Arts Centre
Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre