Summer Holiday Fun at State Library of Queensland: Puppet Party
THIS EVENT IS NOW FINISHED.
The State Library of Queensland is a must see for every Brisbane Kid aged 0-8 years and their family, full of amazing books and also home to The Corner which is a fabulous space that offers free kids activities all year round. However, by far the best time to visit State Library is during the school holidays as they have a great range of free activities to keep everyone entertained and busy for hours.
In January 2016, from the 4th-24th, Holiday Fun at State Library of Queensland includes a Puppet Party where kids’ imaginations can run wild and they can have a tonne of fun creating their very own puppet to take home and continue to play with. The program offers a great range of walk-in and pre-booked craft activities, live entertainment and even movie screenings; allowing kids to unleash their inner artist, storyteller and performer as they party with puppets.
Puppet Party Program – Holiday Fun at State Library
There are lots of fun activities that The State Library of Queensland have included on their Puppet Party Program for 2016. These include:
- The Puppet-arium: Brisbane Kids will love this hands-on workshop where they will actually create their very own puppet and then learn all the tricks they need in order to bring their new little friend to life.
- Dates: 4th-24th January @ 10.15am, 12pm and 1.45 daily. BOOKINGS ARE REQUIRED.
- Family Film Fest: A great selection of movies for the whole family to watch in air-conditioned comfort including films that celebrate children and depict them as heroes, villains, explorers and adventurers.
- Dates: 4th-24th January @ 11am-12.30pm and 1pm-2.30pm daily.
- Paper Town Puppets: Brisbane Kids will be able to get creative and make their very own puppets with a great range of materials to choose from and then take their puppet over to puppet town where all the puppets can play together. There will also be the opportunity to get a photo of your Brisbane Kid with their creation in the puppet portraits studio.
- Dates: 4th-24th January @ 10am-3pm daily.
- Pop Up Puppets: Throughout the library during the holidays, puppets will be appearing at different locations to put on a show, sing a song, tell a story of just to have some fun with everyone. Be sure to keep your eye out for them throughout the day, or you can check with reception where they will be popping up next so you don’t miss out on all the fun.
- Dates: 4th-24th January @ various times from 10am-3pm.
Please note that parents must be supervising their kids at all times during the workshops and activities.
An all day adventure
The State Library is located in South Brisbane. As previously mentioned, it is home to The Corner – a great place for kids offering paper craft, dress-ups, a stage area, computer games and artists each day who facilitate various activities each day including the holidays. The theme and activities change every 3 months and in the past have included fabulous activities themed around transport, space and much more.
Kids can literally spend hours having have fun at the Puppet Party and playing in The Corner, however, if there is any time left, everyone could have a picnic in South Bank, visit the Museum or GOMA, go on the Wheel of Brisbane, play in the new South Bank Playground, or even cool off with a swim at South Bank’s Street’s Beach – all of which are only a short stroll away – before heading home.
To see our review of The Corner, click here.
How to get to The State Library of Queensland
The State Library Queensland is easy to get to, and easy to find, at Stanley Place, South Brisbane. Those using public transport can catch a bus to Cultural Centre Busway or the GOMA bus stop, or a ferry and alight at the South Bank CityCat stop. You can also catch a train to South Brisbane train station which is within easy walking distance of the State Library. If traveling by car, then parking is available at the Cultural Centre car parks, South Bank Parklands or Brisbane Exhibition Centre (parking fees apply).
We know that you will love the Summer Holiday Fun at State Library of Queensland over the school holiday period and have lots of fun at their Puppet Party. For more information on all Puppet Party events and to book into the Puppet-arium, please click here.
If you have older Brisbane Kids they maybe interested in the Story Lab Workshops which are also on in January 2016 at The State Library of Queensland.