Play Football in 2022
There are plenty of ways for your child to get involved in football in 2022. As Queensland’s most popular team sport, football is a great way for your child to make friends, stay fit and have fun!
Choosing a football experience for your child begins at one of the many community football clubs across Brisbane and SEQ.
There are three main football programs for kids:
- MiniRoos Kick-Off
- MiniRoos Club Football
- Junior Divisional Football
For kids between the ages of 4 to 11 who have never played before, MiniRoos Kick-Off is a fun introduction to football which allows boys and girls to learn the fundamentals of the game on smaller fields with modified rules and less players.
For kids who are returning to the game, MiniRoos Club Football provides opportunities for boys and girls aged 6 to 11 of all abilities to play small-sided games in a club-based environment.
To ensure all players have a positive experience, MiniRoos are grouped together based on their skill level. The categories are Joeys (beginners), Wallabies (developing skills), Kangaroos (strong skills).
There is also the MiniRoos Girls Only program, which is perfect for girls to build confidence and learn the skills of the game without the added pressure of performing in games against other teams.
By the age of 12, boys and girls move into junior divisional football where they can join a team at their local club. As they progress through the age groups, they will play on larger fields to prepare them for the transition to senior football.
Find a football club near you
Which Age Group?
Check which age group your child belongs in for the 2022 season below:
- Under 6 born in 2016 or 2017
- Under 7 born in 2015
- Under 8 born in 2014
- Under 9 born in 2013
- Under 10 born in 2012
- Under 11 born in 2011
- Under 12 born in 2010
- Under 13 born in 2009
- Under 14 born in 2008
- Under 15 born in 2007
- Under 16 born in 2006
- Under 17 born in 2005
- Under 18 born in 2004
FQ Player Age Policy
Exemptions are made for special circumstances, including:
- If the club doesn’t have enough players for a team. In that circumstance, younger players from the year immediately below the age group may be included to field a team.
- If players have been identified and participated in State or National level competitions. In that circumstance, a younger player can play up into the next available age group.
- If a player is better suited to a lower age group. In this circumstance, a written application accompanied by supporting medical or educational evidence will be considered by the Competition Administrator.