Murphy’s Creek Escape | Family Friendly Camping near Brisbane
Camping in Upper Lockyer
A short one and a half hour drive from Brisbane, at the foot of the Toowoomba range, sits one of the most incredible camping grounds for Brisbane Families. Murphy’s Creek Escape is a picturesque camping ground set on a stunning 50 acre park that backs onto the White Mountain National Park. This camping ground is a natural oasis among tall gums and iron barks, filled with bird song and nestled beside a spring fed creek with rock pools for swimming. There is even an amazing inland beach! The camp has immaculate facilities and supports a wide range of activities that are sure to keep the whole family happy. Murphy’s Creek Escape also welcomes your family dog, with ample space for exercising and play. There is something here for just about everyone.
Peter and Lisa Souter purchased the camp in 2009 and worked tirelessly to create a beautiful grassed creek-front camp with various camp sites. Almost every camping style is catered for here, ranging from powered and unpowered sites to luxury tents. Camp atop of a canyon or go bush with remote 4WD access-only sites; camp overlooking the meandering creek and rock pools amongst the gum trees or enjoy life’s comforts in the luxury tents that come complete with king-size beds and all the amenities from home but set in the great outdoors. Prices range from $18 per night up to $455 per night, depending on your camping style.
Want to experience camping without the outlay for all that gear? Murphy’s Creek Escape Trailer and Tent hire has you covered. Go basic with a small tent, or go ‘all-out’ with a fully self-contained, top of the line camper trailer where you need only bring your clothes and food. Prices start from $20 per night for tent hire and $170 for 2 nights trailer hire. Camp site hire is additional.
The Souter’s have thought of everyone with their wonderful camp grounds. There is a free Kids Club for children up to the age of 8 years and, during school holiday periods, the camp runs a fun Holiday Program. Activities include flying fox, archery, ropes course, abseiling, beach games, movie and trivia nights, biscuit decorating, army truck rides, craft activities, beach games, disco and bonfire nights and many more. The cost for these activities ranges from free-of-charge to $15 per person. The adults are certainly not forgotten—Murphy’s Escape sells Ballandean Wine from the Stanthorpe region and showcases them at their free wine tasting evenings.
Furthermore, the camp caters for many different types of families and campers. Have a horse lover in your midst? Bring your steed along for some fun and enjoy a ride through Murphy’s Creek Escape and beyond to White Mountain National Park. There are horse yards to keep your friend safe. Is bird watching a hobby? With the stunning White Mountain National Park on your door step you can enjoy full day hikes to spot rare and beautiful native birds. Are you a family of adventurers? There are several guided adventure activities, including abseiling tours, sandstone cliff highline rope walks, adventure climbing, eco walks, hiking and orienteering.
Art lovers will find it hard to choose a subject to paint, photograph or sculpt. With babbling creeks, tumbling rapids to rugged ridgelines and a vast array of natural flora and fauna, there is plenty to keep the whole family busy all day. Alternatively, if you simply want a quiet retreat away from the hustle and bustle, to feel totally at peace in the great outdoors, then this is the ideal spot to do it. Spread out under the trees to read a book, splash in the creek, rock pools or inland beach or simply enjoy the natural oasis that is Murphy’s Creek Escape.
Facilities at Murphy’s Creek Escape
– Powered Sites—Situated amongst the trees, these sites are a generous size and look down onto the rock pools and rapids. These sites have power and water.
– Unpowered Canyon Top Sites—Camp atop of a canyon! These sites are new premium non-powered sites that are generous in size. Overlooking the new Murphy’s Creek Gorge, you will feel like you are on top of the world! These sites are not serviced by power or water.
– Unpowered Bushland Sites—Camp amongst the trees. These sites are generous in size and are not serviced by power or water.
– Remote Camping Sites—These sites are accessible by 4WD only and are off the beaten track. This is a remote location, overlooking the valley west of Murphy’s Creek Escape. These sites do not have power or water.
– Luxury Tents—These tents include a king bed, ensuite, kitchenette, stunning furnishings, beautiful linen, BBQ, private veranda and a large sun bed. This is camping in style. Overlooking the tumbling creek waters you will not want to leave. This accommodation style is for adults only.
– Camp Kitchen—Complete with electric BBQ, fridge, microwave, sinks, power, seating for 48 people and a large bonfire ring.
– Individual campfires—Unique fire drum stands can be moved anywhere on your site and are large enough to hold the biggest of camp ovens. Rates are $10 for the first night and then $5 each additional night, capped at $25 per stay.
– Washing machines and dryers—2 x $2 coins per cycle. Clothes lines are located at each block.
– Amenities blocs with hot showers—These are spotless and modern. Running on tank water, these cost 20 cents for a 2 minute cycle.
– Horse Yards—2 watered horse yards with tack room and shed coming soon. Cost is $5 per horse per night.
Activities to enjoy at Murphy’s Creek Escape
– Swimming in the creek or rock pools
– Family sporting activities—Bring along a ball or cricket set
– Armature Astronomy—Bring your telescope to view the clear starry night sky
– Swimming at the inland beach
– Bushwalking & Hiking
– Adventure Tours
– Abseiling Tours
– Sandstone Cliff Highline Rope Walk
– Outdoor Education
– Interpretive Eco Walks
– Horse Riding
– Ecology Studies
– Birthday Parties! Please contact for complete price listing.
Murphy’s Creek Escape is located at 356 Thomas Road in Upper Lockyer.
Murphy’s Creek Escape is one and a half hours drive from Brisbane and 30 minutes drive from Toowoomba, based at the foot of the Toowoomba range. Follow the Cobb & Co tourist signs to Murphy’s Creek Road and turn at the Blue Tourist Drive signs leading to Thomas Road.
Phone: (07) 4630 5353
E-mail: [email protected]
Visit the Murphy’s Creek Escape website at http://www.murphyscreekescape.com.au/
2 responses to “Murphy’s Creek Escape | Family Friendly Camping near Brisbane”
Follow Us On Instagram
Keep Up To Date With Brisbane Kids!
Like our page to get the latest news & things to do in Brisbane with kids fresh in your newsfeed!