Introducing the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games
We are so excited that the Commonwealth Games is going to be held right here on our doorstep! This spectacular, international event will be an amazing opportunity to introduce our kids to a wide range of sports and to ignite their interest and passion. We can take them to enjoy the electrifying atmosphere of the opening and closing ceremonies and all the live sporting events. They can watch international athletes of the highest calibre demonstrate their sporting prowess, and witness records being broken and heroes being made. It will be a truly inspirational experience and one they will remember for the rest of their lives.
The Games are coming and the countdown is on!
About the Commonwealth Games
This will be the fifth time the Commonwealth Games has been held in Australia, with previous Games held in Sydney (1938), Perth (1962), Brisbane (1982) and Melbourne (2006).
The 2018 Commonwealth Games will be held on the Gold Coast from 4th to 15th April 2018. Over 6,600 athletes and team officials from 71 nations and territories will attend this amazing sporting and cultural event. It will feature 18 sports and 7 para-sports that will be viewed by a global audience of 1.5 billion people!
Venues for the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games
The Athletes Village will be built at Parklands in Southport.
Sporting venues will include:
- Broadbeach Bowls Club (Lawn Bowls)
- Carrara Sports and Leisure Centre (Badminton, Powerlifting, Weightlifting & Wrestling)
- Carrara Stadium (Athletics – Track & Field, Opening & Closing Ceremonies)
- Coolangatta Beachfront (Beach Volleyball)
- Coomera Indoor Sports Centre (Gymnastics & Netball finals)
- Currumbin Beachfront (Athletics – Race Walk & Cycling – Road)
- Gold Coast Aquatic Centre (Diving and Swimming)
- Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre (Basketball Finals & Netball Preliminaries)
- Gold Coast Hockey Centre (Hockey)
- Nerang Mountain Bike Trails (Cycling – Mountain Bike)
- Oxenford Studios (Boxing, Squash & Table Tennis)
- Robina Stadium (Rugby 7s)
- Southport Broadwater Parklands (Athletics – Marathon, Triathlon)
We will even have some events held here in Brisbane! These venues will be used:
- Belmont Shooting Centre (Shooting)
- Queensland State Velodrome (Cycling – Track)
Other venues include:
- Cairns Convention Centre (Basketball)
- Townsville Entertainment and Convention Centre (Basketball Preliminaries)
Sports at the Commonwealth Games
The 2018 Commonwealth Games will feature these 18 core sports:
- Aquatics (Swimming, Diving)
- Beach Volleyball
- Cycling (Mountain Bike, Road, Track)
- Lawn Bowls
- Netball (women)
- Rugby 7’s
- Shooting (Clay Target, Full Bore, Pistol, Small Bore)
- Table Tennis
- Weightlifting (Weightlifting, Power Lifting)
These four para-sports will be included:
- Aquatics (Swimming)
- Lawn Bowls
- Power Lifting
These optional para-sports are also proposed to be included:
- Cycling (Track)
- Table Tennis
- Wheelchair Basketball
Further information about the sports of the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, and the venues where these events will be held, can be found at www.gc2018.com/the-sport.
More information about the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games
As the Games draw closer, we will be adding to this page with more information of everything that will be great for kids at the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games! Be sure to also check out our Kids Guide to the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games 2018 for info on sports of the games, and other important things to know and share with your Brisbane Kids.