Healthy food options for families at the Ekka
Ahhh, the Ekka… home of delicious treats like Dagwood Dogs, fairy floss, Strawberry Sundaes and show bags heavy with chocolates, chips and lollies!
But not all the food on offer at the Ekka is either deep fried or sugar coated. Here’s our list of the healthy food options for families at the Ekka this year.
Healthy meals at the Ekka
- Gourmet Plaza – Gourmet Plaza will be filled to the brim with flavours from all over the globe. In the Gourmet Plaza dining area, your family can enjoy restaurant quality cuisine, while seated at tables.
- Royal Queensland Steakhouse Restaurant – open for lunch and dinner each day of Ekka, the Royal Queensland Steakhouse Restaurant serves steak, seafood, healthy sides and desserts.
- Indian cuisine in the plaza – choose from lamb rogan josh, butter chicken, vegetable korma, or a tasting plate of all three curries.
- Burger Royale – the beef and chicken burgers at Burger Royale are always popular – you’ll find them located behind the members’ bar.
- Stockmen’s Bar and Grill Pub Food – order a steak cooked to your liking with a side of healthy salad or steamed vegetables. You’ll also find a range of fresh burgers available to purchase at the Stockmen’s Bar and Grill fast food outlet.
- The Roast Beef stand on Machinery Hill offers more than just dagwood dogs and hot chips. You can also buy a beef gravy roll with coleslaw, or a pulled pork roll with coleslaw. Yum!
- Woolworths Fresh Food Pavilion – as well as free food samples and daily cooking classes for kids, the Woolworths Fresh Food Pavilion offers families healthy food options that include the Cheese Toastie Factory $2 toasted cheese sandwich, or something more gourmet from one of the many boutique food retailers.
Royal Queensland Food and Wine Show
Each year the Royal Queensland Food and Wine Show is held in conjunction with the Ekka. You can view all the entrants and winners in the plaza, and you can even sample some of their delicious offerings. This year, be sure to try the wares of the 2016 gold medal winner – Andrew’s Meats. There’s also delicious wines, cheese, ice cream and gelato that you will want to taste test.
Healthy snacks at the Ekka
- Country Women’s Association – each year, the CWA offers traditional country fare—including the perennial favourite of scones with jam and cream—in the old-school eatery under the John MacDonald Stand.
- LICK Ice Cream – this Brisbane-made gourmet ice cream and sorbet boasts no additives, preservatives or artificial colours. They also offer gluten free flavours and dairy free sorbet.
- The Chippery, located under the gatehouse, serves sweet potato chips, as an alternative to traditional hot chips.
- Strawberry Sundaes – while these crowd-pleasers may not be entirely healthy, they do contain fresh Wamuran strawberries, LICK gourmet strawberry ice-cream, cream from Queensland dairies and crunchy wafer cones. And you can feel good about your treat, knowing that the proceeds go towards the Prince Charles Hospital Foundation.
Bring your own food to the Ekka
You are also welcome to bring your own food and drinks to the Ekka, and there are lockers available so that you don’t have to lug your supplies around all day. The main arena is a good place to sit and have a bite to eat, as there is always something on show to watch.
We asked a group of Brisbane Kids what they love most about the Ekka. This is what they had to say –
For more information about food available at the Ekka, or to buy your Ekka tickets, please visit the Royal Queensland Show website.
Keep Up To Date With Brisbane Kids!
Like our page to get the latest news & things to do in Brisbane with kids fresh in your newsfeed!