Guide to Westfield Chermside with Kids
Long gone are the days of dragging unwilling children around the local shopping centre, warning them not to touch anything, and bribing them with a milkshake in exchange for shopping peace. Nowadays, shopping centres are increasingly becoming family friendly and are offering play spaces, kid-centric shops and a myriad of entertainment options. Leading the way is Westfield Chermside, with their dazzling array of family experiences and family dining options. Brisbane Kids visited the centre recently and checked out the best that Westfield Chermside has to offer.
Family stores at Westfield Chermside
At Westfield Chermside, the stores selling children’s wares have been conveniently grouped together. Park near the valet parking service area and take the escalator up to ground level. Here you will find all the favourites, including:
- Ollie’s Place – cute formal wear and fashion for children
- Pavement – tween clothing including active wear, semi-formal wear and everyday fashion
- Harper Bee – gorgeous homewares and accessories for tween girls
- Smiggle – colourful stationery and accessories for children
- Cotton On Kids – practical play clothes and pyjamas in fun designs for kids
- Kidstuff – the ultimate kids’ toy shop (there is also a Toyworld located near Coles)
Family fun at Westfield Chermside
Westfield Chermside boasts a 16-screen cinema, including a full-service Gold Class cinema, but its entertainment offerings don’t stop there. On your next visit, check out the following options:
- Playtime Arcade on level 2 – play more than 100 arcade games, find your way out of one of three escape rooms (suitable for older teens) and have a hit of table tennis or a shot of billiards.
- Kingpin Bowling – a great rainy day or school holiday activity – bowling is suitable for kids of all ages, including little ones (bumpers and stands available).
- Karaoke rooms – this would make a fun kids’ birthday party idea! Kids can sing along to their favourite pop songs in the soundproof rooms (located near Kingpin Bowling).
- Laser Tag – team up with friends and battle it out to claim laser tag victory. Suitable for ages four and up. Even parents can join in the missions!
- Build a Bear – design and create your own teddy bear or soft toy and choose from a range of cute outfits and accessories.
- Free kids’ entertainment – located in the outdoor dining precinct, from 10.30am until 12.30pm every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The ever-changing entertainment includes a magical wizard, a tricky magician and a talented face painter. It makes a great spot for mother’s groups to meet for a coffee while the kids’ are being entertained.
Family dining at Westfield Chermside
The new dining precinct at Westfield Chermside has been designed with the family in mind. The restaurant’s circle around a children’s playground with a mini-trampoline, slides, tunnels and spinners. Known as “The Urchin”, this open play area is great if you want to grab some takeaway and have a picnic. NYC Bagel Deli does bagels to go, including a bacon and eggs kids’ bagel.
Another family-friendly pick is Grill’d Burgers, located outside the food court on the ground floor. On the menu are mini me packs for kids aged seven and under, as well as larger burgers for kids aged between eight and 12 years, plus plenty of room for prams and colouring in to keep the kids happy.
For a special occasion, Kamikaze Teppanyaki offer an interactive dining experience that is a lot of fun for the whole family. The skilled Teppanyaki chefs will have you oohing and aahing as they prepare the delicious meals before your eyes.
And who could say no to a free meal? The following restaurants at Westfield Chermside offer a kids eat free promotion:
- Scuzi Café – kids eat free every day with any paying adult
- Beach House Bar and Grill – kids eat free every Sunday
- Casa Cibo Italian – kids eat free every Sunday (and sometimes throughout school holidays). Kids will also love the gelato cart!
- The Baravarian – kids eat free on Sundays, and also receive a free kids pack. There’s even a roving face-painter.
Parking tips at Westfield Chermside
Westfield Chermside runs a ticketless parking system. If you stay for under three hours or spend more than $200 in the centre, your parking is free (validate your car registration at concierge by showing your receipt). Valet parking is available for an extra $5, which would be a great option in the Christmas rush.
Westfield Chermside is located on the corner of Gympie Road and Hamilton Road, Chermside. To plan your visit and see what’s happening in-centre, visit https://www.westfield.com.au/chermside.