Growing Strawberries at Home
There’s nothing better than the sweet flavour of home-grown strawberries! Loved by children and adults alike, it’s little wonder this easy-to-grow groundcover is among the most popular food crops in Australian home gardens.
Best time to plant:
The ideal time for planting your strawberries is June to August each year.
- Strawberries like lots of sun, so make sure they are in a sunny position.
- Good drainage is essential, so build up garden beds if your soil is heavy clay and dig in a good compost medium like Searles 5 IN 1™Organic Plant Food.
- Strawberries are also ideal for growing in pots, planters or even in hanging baskets on a sunny balcony OR just plant them directly into a bag of Searles Premium Potting Mix (learn how here How to Grow Salad in a Potting Mix Bag).
- Maintain a good layer of mulch over the soil or potting mix. This will conserve moisture, but it will also keep fruit in good condition by preventing it from touching the ground.
5 great ways to grow Strawberries at your place!
1. Hanging Basket
2. Plastic Strawberry Planter
3. In a Ceramic Pot
4. Bag of Potting mix
5. In the Garden
Many thanks to Renee from GardenWay for these awesome Strawberry Planting Tips. GardenWay makes it onto our list of Stylish Kids- Shopping for Brisbane Kids because it is so much more than just a Brisbane nursery. They stock a huge range of quality gifts, along with indoor and outdoor homewares in the latest colours and trendy designs. You can plan your dream home whilst browsing for that perfect present! Whether you’re seeking eco-friendly furnishings or fashionable flourishes, GardenWay offers great value, quality products to suit your lifestyle.
Check out our other Strawberry Related Posts below.