A brand new festival, the Gondwana Festival, will celebrate the regeneration of World Heritage-listed rainforests following the devastating fires of summer 2019/2020 with a program of events throughout March 2021. And the good news is, there’s plenty on offer for families in locations that are within easy driving distance from Brisbane.
A festival of rainforests
Set within the stunning Scenic Rim, from Lamington National Park to Mt Barney National Park, families are invited to experience guided walks, talks and wild adventures from the base camps (and luxury lodges) of Binna Burra, O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat and Mt Barney Lodge.
Following the opening ceremony, the Gondwana Festival program will include live music, an under-the-stars film festival, children’s nature play activities, bushcraft and a range of guided walks to suit all ability levels. The festival will be kept intentionally small to ensure minimal impact on the environment and a fully immersive experience. Capped numbers will also ensure safety during this COVID period. For example, some of the walks are limited to 100 people per day, and only in groups of 10 at one time.
At Binna Burra, Sky Lodge guests, campsite guests and even day visitors can sign up for an array of kid-friendly activities, including:
- archery, an ancient sport, perfect for playing in an ancient forest
- nature education (think shelter building, animal tracking and learning bush survival skills)
- after dark sessions including campfires, lantern making and dinner
- spotlighting walks that will have kids searching the rainforest for a huge array of wildlife including possums, gliders and pademelons
- guided walks with Park Tours that will show you and your kids some natural wonders including 3000-year-old beech trees! Walks for older and more active kids are available at Binna Burra from 2nd – 5th March.
Bookings are essential and fees apply.
O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat
At O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat, there’s plenty on offer for families during the festival and all year round, including:
- segway safaris
- a flying fox adventure experience
- birds of prey show
- an evening glow-worm tour
- school holiday eco-rangers program
- wildlife encounters
- a family picnic or BBQ at Canungra Valley Vineyards
Mount Barney Lodge
At Mt Barney Lodge, families can enjoy the following activities:
- night time adventures – make damper over an open fire, have a sausage sizzle and go spotlighting!
- bush tucker tours that go off the beaten track
- creekside adventures where kids make and float their own boat
- Scenic Rim Adventure Festival at Mt Barney 19 -21 March will also have daily bush activities for kids, free of charge. Numbers are limited and sign up is on the day at Mt Barney Lodge.
You can follow the Gondwana Festival on Facebook and Instagram @gondwanafestival #gondwanafestival, with organisers encouraging visitors who want to be the first to hear about the program and special advance releases to sign-up via their website at www.gondwanafestival.com.au