Free and fun holiday activities at State Library of Queensland
THIS SHOW IS NOW FINISHED
Visit State Library of Queensland (SLQ) these summer holidays and step into a world of imagination, storytelling and creative play for children, friends and families.
Craft activities, story telling sessions. movie screenings, musical workshops and more on offer for free, for families. The story telling sessions will be with Queensland authors and provide an opportunity to instill a love of reading in your Brisbane Kids. Queensland authors Peter Carnavas, Shannon Horsfall, Andrew King, Kate Knapp, and Christine Sharp will all feature in the story telling tent.
Children can also get moving and grooving in free musical sessions with Tim Jackman, Queensland author Chris Collin and his whacky puppet friend Funky Chicken, and the Junk Orchestra.
PROGAM: Summer holiday fun activities at State Library of Queensland
Until 20 Jan | Throughout SLQ | For children of all ages | Free | slq.qld.gov.au/whats-on
• Books and beats on the Queensland Terrace: o Junk Orchestra: Mondays and Thursdays, 5–20 Jan, 10am–11am & 12noon–1pm o Hickory Dickory Rock with Tim Jackman: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, 3–20 Jan, 11am–12noon & 1pm–2pm o Funky Chicken — Chooks in Space with Chris Collin: 4 & 18 Jan, 10am–11am & 12noon–1pm
• Free craft creation station: o Open daily from 10am–3pm in the Knowledge Walk, level 1 o Activities will change throughout January o Materials created by Queensland authors and illustrators Peter Carnavas, Shannon Horsfall, Kate Knapp, Lucia Masciullo and Christine Sharp
• Free family film screenings: o Daily until 20 Jan, 10.30am–12noon & 1.30pm–3pm in SLQ Auditorium 2, level 2
• Free guided play workshops in the Imagination Playscape: o Daily until 20 Jan, 10am–11am in The Parlour, level 1 o Bookings slq.qld.gov.au/whats-on
• Storytime in the Storytent: o Daily until 20 Jan, 10am–10.30am, 11.30am–12noon, 1pm–1.30pm in the Knowledge Walk, level 1 o Guest author storytelling sessions: Shannon Horsfall (Was Not Me): 3, 10 & 17 Jan Andrew King (Engibear’s Dream and Engibear’s Bridge): 4 & 6 Jan Christine Sharp (Bea and Sylvia): 11 Jan Peter Carnavas (Blue Whale Blues, The Children Who Loved Books and The Last Tree in the City): 13 & 20 Jan Kate Knapp (Ruby Red Shoes): 16 & 18 Jan
SLQ’s summer Story Lab paid workshops are also running until 20 January
For older children, SLQ leads the free Summer Reading Club, delivered nationally through public libraries and Indigenous Knowledge Centres and online at summerreadingclub.org.au until 31 January.
Visit slq.qld.gov.au/whats-on for more information and to view the full summer holiday program, or check out the daily calendar to plan your visit.