Fitness Bands for Kids
John Rohn once said, “Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live,” and when it comes to our children it couldn’t ring more true – or important. How many times a day do we worry about our children getting enough of the good stuff? Fresh air, sunlight and outside time?
Keeping Track of your Child’s Health
Fitness bands and activity trackers have been readily available for adults for at least five years now. They are extremely high tech and very wearable, almost camouflaged as jewelry, and have proven time and time again that they are not only beneficial for monitoring your movement and heart rate but also for tracking how you sleep and even what you eat and drink!
The best news is, brands are now offering children the same sort of activity trackers to measure physical activity and food intake whilst setting fun targets that teach them new skills and challenges. With the aid of fun apps that work alongside them, kids fitness bands are like a new toy for your children that at the same time gets them moving.
I’ve recently done some research into the world of fitness bands and have found four great activity trackers that will encourage health and wellness amongst our little ones, as well as support their curiosity and general wellbeing.
Milo Champions Band
The Milo Champions Band is designed for kids aged 6 to 12, is worn around their wrist and works best in conjunction with the MILO Champions app.
The MILO Champions band is a fun way to encourage kids to stay active. It displays:
- The time
- Total number of steps taken
- Kilojoules your child has burned
- Their amount of activity
- How close your child is to achieving their daily goals
Garmin Vivofit JR
The Garmin Vivofit JR is a quirky little tracker designed for kids that is also waterproof – an absolute bonus as anyone with children would know! It also offers:
- 1-year battery life – no recharging needed
- 24/7 wearability – swim-friendly with 5 ATM water resistance
- Ages 4-9 – stretchy band is designed for wrists up to 150 millimetres
- Compatible parent mobile app – free parent-controlled app includes fun and educational mobile adventures for kids and chore/behaviour management for parents.
- From the app, you can add multiple children and see their steps, sleep, daily activities and chore data when it automatically syncs to your smartphone. Assign tasks and chores, find out how many reward coins each child has, and even invite the whole family to compete in a daily step challenge
The FitBit Zip is a discrete little tracker that is perfect for pockets! Great for school-aged children (that aren’t suppose to wear them while on school grounds) it boasts a very long life battery and tracks steps and calories while being completely wireless! Some features include:
- Tracks all day activity
- Large tap display
- Wireless Syncing
- Discrete, versatile wear
- Long Battery Life – up to six months wearing without the need to recharge!
Merging the real and virtual worlds, ETURBO motivates exercise with highly-desirable rewards. The more you move the more you are rewarded – for every 1,000 steps in the real world kids can unlock new environments, inspiring video content, sporting tips and tricks, avatar upgrades, super powers and much more in the virtual world. The virtual world also offers real world content to access including video content and news and sports tips from sporting greats to inspire kids to go back outside, try new sports and get active.
A bit different from your usual wearable, the Elanation ETurbo wearable is being pitched as cyber-safe because of how it connects to the online world, with no GPS tracking or sharing of locations. This mean when worn, your child’s location won’t be found or hacked into by a third party. This does mean parents can’t track it either though.
- Colour: Neon Yellow
- Waterproof IPX7 swim proof, shower proof, sweat proof
- Heart rate monitor 24/7 heart rate monitoring system
- Easy charge USB, no cables required
- Battery Life 5 – 7 days
Encouraging our Brisbane Kids to get outside and stay fit is one of the best things we can do for them. Active bodies and minds are what we want so getting your child a fitness band will not only motivate and excite them to do more but will also help them (and you) keep track of just how active they are!