- This event has passed.
MoB Summer Holiday Program
Spark your child’s curiosity and creativity with MoB Kids hands-on art and design workshops inspired by Museum of Brisbane’s (MoB) current exhibitions High Rotation and New Woman this summer. Each experience has been specially curated to engage and inspire children and their families including festive-themed workshops.
- Festive Decorations Fire up your festive spirit with ornaments for your tree! Create your design letting your imagination run wild and arrange colourful beads into a work of art. Take home a festive decoration for the tree or gift to a friend. 16 – 20 Dec and 23 – 24 Dec 2019 | 10am – 2pm | $5, bookings recommended | 3yrs+
- Rockin’ Wreaths Swing into the holiday season with a rocking workshop to create your own decorative wreath. Take inspiration from High Rotation and the DIY aesthetic of Brisbane’s music scene to create a Rockin’ Wreath with sparkles, sequins and repurposed materials. A short tour of the High Rotation music exhibition is included in your workshop experience. 16 – 20 Dec | 2.30pm – 4pm | $20, bookings essential | 6yrs+
- High Rotation Family Tour Take a family trip through the past 30 years of Brisbane’s vibrant music scene on a tour of High Rotation led by our Museum Educators. Play with sound in the immersive Tributaries installation, dance along to some of the most memorable tunes and video clips and discover how Brisbane’s musicians have shaped the soundscape of our city. Tue 17 Dec 2019 and Thu 16 Jan 2020 | 12pm – 12.45pm | Adult $12, Family Pass $30 (two adults and two children), Children under 12 free | Bookings essential
- Custom Band Patches Wear your heart on your sleeve! Inspired by the DIY aesthetic of Brisbane’s music scene featured in High Rotation design and personalise your own textile patch with coloured markers. BYO clothing and complete your rock n’ roll look by ironing on your own custom band patch. 6 – 10 Jan, 13 – 17 Jan and 20 – 24 Jan 2020 | 10am – 2pm | $5, bookings recommended | All ages\
- Kids Fanzine Project with Jeremy Staples Calling all creative kids! Team up with the Museum and zine master Jeremy Staples for a community-based project that celebrates the best of Brisbane music. In this workshop get your creative juices flowing, learn how to create an awesome fanzine out of paper, glue and scissors, with the final collaborative zine to be distributed to participants in 2020. This workshop includes a short tour of the High Rotation exhibition with Jeremy Staples. Sat 11 Jan 2020 | 10.30am – 12.30pm | $20, bookings essential | 6yrs+
- Rhythm and Drum Making Feel the rhythm and bang out some tunes with the whole family. Join musician, Jhindu-Pedro Lawrie in transforming everyday items into musical instruments in this rhythm and drum making workshop. Be inspired in High Rotation by the last 30 years of Brisbane hits, and experiment with interactive sound installation Tributaries. Learn the basics of song construction and then make your own drums or shakers. Get the whole family together for a jam session and feel the rhythm. This workshop includes a short tour of High Rotation. Tue 14 Jan and Thu 16 Jan 2020 | 10.30am – 12pm and 2pm – 3.30pm | $20, bookings essential | 6yrs+
- Screen Print Wall Banners Design and print your own bold textile banner in our screen printing workshop. Draw inspiration from the colours and text featured in artist Rachael Haynes’ Threads of Resistance installation in New Woman and learn various printing techniques including screen printing, stencil design and paint pens to make a hanging statement for your wall. All materials supplied including cotton for printing. Tue 21 Jan and Thu 23 Jan 2020 | 10.30am – 12.30pm and 2pm – 4pm | $20, bookings essential | 6yrs+
- Summer Silent Disco Pop on some headphones and get groovy as the Museum turns into your own private disco. Bring the whole family for a pumping hour of singing and dancing. Grab a headset and jam-out to your favourite hits from the High Rotation playlist then wind-down with a music themed art activity. Sat 18 Jan 2020 | 10.30am – 12pm | $15, bookings essential | 5yrs+
- Pocket Placards Can small acts of resistance create big change? Artist Rachael Haynes uses these ideas in her interactive installation Threads of Resistance, drawing from language to capture the many voices of contemporary feminism. Presented as part of New Woman, the installation includes text-based drawing and fabric works derived from Rachael’s research into feminist social history archives. Families and children are invited to express their hopes and visions for a better future by creating their own mini protest banners with our Pocket Placard activity. Be inspired by Rachael’s works and share your ideas for a better world as you play with text, shape and colour to make your own felt pocket placard. Contribute to the installation by sticking it to the felt board or put your pocket on your clothes or bag and take it home with you. Daily, until 8 Mar 2020 | 10am – 5pm, until 7pm Fridays | Free, bookings not required | 5yrs+
MoB Summer Holiday Program
- When: 16 December – 23 January CLOSED CHRISTMAS DAY AND BOXING DAY
- Where: Museum of Brisbane
- Cost: Mix of free and paid events- booking required for some events
- Who: Brisbane Kids of all ages
For more information visit https://www.museumofbrisbane.com.au/mob-kids/
We make every effort to ensure all this information is up to date but should be used as a guide only. Events do get cancelled or changed due to wet weather and other events. If you know of a change or cancellation then please do let us know at [email protected].