Christmas Gift Ideas For Outdoor Play
Getting kids playing outside is not as easy as it used to be, thanks to the pull of computer games, devices and other indoor pursuits. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of 50 toys that will keep the kids entertained for hours outdoors, while they soak up the fresh air and Vitamin D. Christmas is saved!
Outside water play
Christmas in Australia is hot enough to fry and egg on a slippery dip, and so kids will love these toys to cool off with:
- Blow up pool – remember that pool fencing regulations may apply to some pools, depending on depth
- Water play table – fishing games, water wheels and sail boats feature in these tables of fun
- Sprinkler – an oldie but a goodie, there are so many variations of the humble water sprinkler
- Slip ‘n’ slide – everyone’s back yard favourite
- Pool toys – if you have a pool, there are oodles of noodles, water guns and other toys that can extend the pool time fun
- Beach toys – buckets and spades, beach balls, toy trucks are all old-fashioned toys which have maintained their appeal today
Outside role play
- Cubby house – whether you build your own or purchase a pre-constructed one, a cubby house will provide hours of fun for kids of all ages
- Tree house – this is the stuff that kids’ dreams are made of; a tree house will make any kids’ year!
- Costume box – a weather proof box that is full of costumes is a great game starter for kids
- Tent or tepee – this is a gift that will grow with your kids
- Astronomy set – learn all about space and study the stars together
Outside sport play
- Obstacle course – great for developing kids’ gross motor skills
- Cricket set – because backyard cricket competitions are a must at Christmas time!
- Soccer ball and goals – a great gift for a little soccer star
- Basketball or netball hoop – get one that has an adjustable height, so it can grow with your kids
- Totem tennis – fun for the beach, camping and the backyard
- Handball – challenge your kids to a game!
- Golf Set / Mini Golf – develop hand eye coordination with this game for all ages
- Fishing rod and fishing net – catching guppies in the creek is a lovely childhood pastime
- Boogie boards, surfboards – beach holidays are calling!
Outside messy play
- Sandpit – bring a bit of the beach to your backyard
- Gardening tools – gardening is a rewarding and educational hobby for kids
- Outdoor kitchen – a perfect complement to the sand pit
- Painting and craft – easels, paints and brushes, sketch pads, pencils… the possibilities are endless!
- Flower press – a lovely gift to accompany a gardening set
- Collection box – kids love to collect rocks, feathers, insects
Outside active play
- Monkey bars – great for building upper body strength
- Swing set – a traditional swing set or even a tyre swing are always popular
- Climbing frame – for kids who love to climb
- Trampoline – almost an essential part of every childhood
- Hula hoop – kids will be so pleased with themselves when they master this skill
- Jumping castle – these have become more affordable in recent years
- Bicycle and helmet – don’t forget the spokey dokeys!
- Pogo Stick – not as easy as it looks
- Go Cart – race your siblings and friends
- Remote control plane or car
- Ring Toss
- Giant Yard Games – giant Connect 4 or Giant Noughts and Crosses are great fun!
- See Saw
Outside play stocking stuffers
- Bubbles – bubble machine, bubble mixture, bubble wands = hours of bubble fun
- Skipping rope – a simple gift that provides plenty of exercise
- Elastics – England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, inside, outside, inside, out!
- YoYo – teach the kids some of the cool tricks you knew as a child
- Chalk – chalk on the driveway is a simple delight of childhood and a great stocking stuffer
We also have this great list of gift ideas for kids that have everything!