Brisbane For Train Loving Brisbane Kids
There are so many great places to take your train loving kids to see trains in Brisbane, other than the local train station. We have compiled a list to get your child chugging on their way to locomotive heaven.
The Workshops Rail Museum
The holy grail of all things train related – The Workshops Rail Museum, North Street North Ipswich is a must see for train enthusiasts of all ages. Not only do they have examples of steam engines, electric engines, passenger trains and lots of other train related paraphernalia, there is a working blacksmith’s workshop with free tours throughout the day. Closed footwear must be worn to participate. Spend a while tracking the trains on the huge model railway, then continue on to the “Nippers Railway” indoor railway themed playground with costumes, carriages, bikes, signals and more to engage your train loving Brisbane Kid.
Each school holiday period there is a themed exhibition with additional special activities. There is a café onsite or you can obtain a pass out to retrieve a picnic from your car and enjoy lunch in the shade of a tree. Next door to the museum is a large car park with ample space for visitors. Opening hours are 9.30am – 5.00pm daily except Christmas Day, Good Friday and Anzac Day. Check out the website for up to date entrance fees. If they have a current exhibition it will be notes on the Brisbane What’s On Calendar
Steam Train Rides
Why not book an hour long ride on a historic steam locomotive that leaves from Brisbane’s Roma Street Station on the first Sunday of every month? Relive a bygone era viewing Brisbane from vintage train carriages. Costs vary and members of The Workshops Rail Museum may obtain a discount. http://www.theworkshops.qm.qld.gov.au/Events+and+Exhibitions/Events+and+Activities/Steam+trains/Steam+train+Sunday
Hobby Train Rides
At McPherson Park, Denham St, Bracken Ridge on the fourth Sunday of each month, the local Lions Club runs a miniature steam railway with rides for $2 each, or ten rides for $10. Trains run from 9.30am to 2.30pm and riders must wear closed shoes. Bring a picnic and make it a lovely family outing. http://www.brackenridge.qld.lions.org.au/
Brisbane Bayside Steam Railway Society
The Brisbane Bayside Steam Railway Society located at 1900 Wynnum Rd Wynnum West, runs miniature train rides from 10am to 4pm on the first and third Sundays of the month. Closed footwear is a must to ride the trains. BYO picnic to make a day of it! http://www.brisbanebaysidesteamrailway.com.au/ Similar train rides are offered at Woodridge and Bribie Island. Check out our calendar for a date. Just search for “Bribie Island Train” and it will come up.
AMRA Qld Model Train Show
Australian Model Railway Association Queensland Branch holds the largest train show in Australia at Doomben Racecourse, off Nudgee Road Hendra, every May. See exhibits of different gauge trains and rails, Queensland Rail history, demonstrations and interactive displays. Check the website closer to the time to find out the exact dates, and admission charges. http://brisbanemodeltrainshow.com.au/wordpress/
Train Experiences outside Brisbane
There are other opportunities to also experience train rides if you are willing to take a short trip outside of Brisbane.
- The Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers offers a steam train experience allowing you a scenic experience across the Lockyer Valley and ofcourse a visit to the big event itself. The Carnival of flowers is a seasonal event taking place in mid September. Find out more here http://www.arhs-qld.org.au/sunshine-express-rail-tours/toowoomba-carnival-of-flowers-21st-22nd-september
- The Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway also operate out of Bundamba at Swanbank. This often coincides with the Handmade Expo. Check it out here http://www.qpsr.net/
- The Mary Valley offers a train experience twice a week with an old red locomotion engine. Find out more here on our article about the Mary Valley Steam Trains
Brisbane Train Themed Parks
- The Samford playground offers heaps of train themed fun. Kids can jump in and enjoy pretending to be train drivers
- The Woodridge Train Playground is a train lovers paradise. The open train-themed playground is sand-based with swings and slides. With a couple of carriages too, the train’s slides and ladders allow a whole bunch of kids to ‘travel’ on the train to various exotic destinations.
Have we missed any? let us know at [email protected]