Bands in Parks: 100 Years | Brisbane August 2016
PLEASE NOTE: THIS EVENT IS NOW FINISHED.
Brisbane City Council’s Bands in Parks program is celebrating 100 years of live music with a free concert at the Riverstage on 28th August 2016.
Bands in Parks: 100 Years
Gather your family and friends; grab the picnic blanket and head to the Riverstage for a fun afternoon of live music to celebrate 100 years of Bands in Parks. This wonderful celebration will see performances from a variety of talented community bands, including a concert band, several brass bands, and three pipe bands. The bands will play a diverse range of musical styles from classical, swing, traditional and contemporary brass and
Brisbane City Council’s Bands in Parks program began in 1916 and has since gone on to host countless free weekly concerts in public parks across Brisbane. Over the last 100 years these family friendly events have showcased the talents of community brass, concert, jazz, orchestral, steel and swing bands. With a long and rich history, there are several community bands that have been affiliated with the program since before World War I. This long-standing tradition has helped establish brass and military bands as a part of Brisbane cultural life. Bands in Parks not only brings music lovers of all ages together but also celebrates the many beautiful parks we are lucky to have around Brisbane.
Bands in Parks Performances
Bands in Parks: 100 Years celebration will take place at the Riverstage, 59 Gardens Point Rd, Brisbane City.
- Sunday 28th August: 2.00pm – 4.00pm
- FREE family friendly event
Bands performing at the Bands in Parks 100 years celebration include:
- South Brisbane Federal Band – this iconic bass brand formed in 1912 and has been entertaining audiences with their blend of traditional and contemporary brass arrangements ever since.
- Brisbane Municipal Concert Band – established over a century ago, this much loved band is made up of passionate and talented musicians that play a varied concert band repertoire.
- Brisbane Excelsior Band – an A Grade Queensland band with many competition wins to their name. The band performs a diverse range of classical, light classical, comedy, traditional swing, contemporary and sacred music.
- Queensland Irish Association Pipe Band – one of the oldest pipe bands in Queensland, QIAPB plays a section of tunes from many different cultures.
- City of Brisbane Pipe Band – formed in 1950 and supported by the City of Brisbane, the band is always a crowd favourite with their uplifting and entertaining performances.
- University of Queensland Pipe Band – an award winner pipe band with a broad repertoire spanning traditional pipe music and Aussie classics.
For more information here or call Brisbane City Council on 07 3403 8888.
To find out more about the shows that are coming to Brisbane that your Brisbane Kids will absolutely love, take a look at the Brisbane Kids Upcoming Shows page or sign up to the Brisbane Kids Weekly Newsletter.
Keep Up To Date With Brisbane Kids!
Like our page to get the latest news & things to do in Brisbane with kids fresh in your newsfeed!