All Hallows’ School Review
All Hallows’ School is an independent Catholic girls’ school for Years 5 to 12. Located in the Brisbane CBD, All Hallows’ was established in 1861 by the Sisters of Mercy and upholds Catholic traditions and values. The oldest secondary school in Queensland and the first secondary school for girls, All Hallows’ has been providing high-quality education based on the Christian values of respect, compassion, truth, justice, responsibility and loyalty for over 155 years.
All Hallows’ School Philosophy and Values
“All Hallows’ School exists to provide a Catholic education to young women from varied socio-economic and cultural backgrounds. It does this within the traditions of the Sisters of Mercy and has its basis in Gospel values. The All Hallows’ School community participates in this mission of mercy by bringing the loving-kindness of God into our world.
The values of the All Hallows’ School community are centred on recognition of the dignity in every person. This is achieved by acknowledging the diverse backgrounds of the members of the All Hallows’ community, respecting freedom and inclusiveness, valuing difference, cultivating understanding and an acceptance of self and others. The All Hallows’ community strives to live out the Gospel values by committing itself to serve all with compassion, particularly those affected by poverty and disadvantage. We value Respect, Compassion, Responsibility, Justice, Truth, and Loyalty. These values underpin the School’s commitment to developing:
- A quality Mercy education which empowers women by being balanced, relevant and responsive to individual student needs and aspirations;
- A school community which is pastoral, stimulating and safe;
- Each individual’s capacity to critique and respond appropriately to change and to contribute to the betterment of society;
- Young women who display independence, personal and community responsibility, resilience, integrity and a life-long love of learning.” (Source: All Hallows’ School)
Facilities at All Hallows’ School
Built on the heritage listed site beside the Brisbane River, All Hallows’ campus has benefited from an extensive redevelopment and the addition of an Olympic water polo pool, gymnasium, auditorium and child care centre. The School has impressive facilities with modern classrooms, laboratories, technology resources, hospitality facilities, and the refurbished Potter Library.
All Hallows’ School Co-Curricular Activities
The diverse range of cultural and sporting co-curricular activities at All Hallows’ include competitive or social sports, performing arts, music, and social justice. Sporting activities are a part of the academic program and students may represent the School in inter-school teams. Sports offered include athletics, cricket, basketball, netball, swimming, tennis, football, fencing, rowing hockey, touch volleyball and water polo.
The School’s Cultural Program offers a wide range of opportunities, from dance, speech and drama lessons, instrumental music, voice, to ensembles, choirs and bands. The Performing Arts Program provides both private tuition and group participation opportunities. Students are able to participate in debating and public speaking activities in inter-school, State and National Competitions
Mercy Action, the social justice program, offers a variety of outreach experiences encourage students to be active in the community and extend kindness and joy to people of all ages, backgrounds and life experiences.
Enrolment at All Hallows’ School
All Hallows’ School has comprehensive enrolment information on their website detailing the application process, vacancies, fees, enrolment policies and application forms. Waitlists may apply to some years as intake numbers vary depending on entry. For students in Year 5 & 6 there are three classes per grade. From Year 7 there are eight classes. There is an annual school Open Day held on the last Sunday of May. Visitors have the opportunity to tour the School, meet staff and students, view displays and enjoy some entertainment. Small group tours are available twice monthly throughout the year.
All Hallows’ School at a Glance
- Address: 47 Ann Street, Brisbane
- Phone: 07 3831 3100
- Enrolment capacity: 1560
- Years 5 to 12
- Catholic girls’ school
- Open Day: last Sunday of May
- Student Health Centre
- Mercy Action Program
- Alternative Career Entry Program: vocational qualifications, school-based traineeships/ apprenticeships and work experience
- Sports Camps & Tours
- Sports Program: AFL, AHS Fitness Program, Athletics, Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Football, Hockey, Indoor Cricket, Netball, Rowing, Swimming, Tennis, Touch Football, Volleyball, Water polo
- Cultural Program:
- Instrumental & Vocal Program: Bassoon, Cello, Clarinet (incl. Bass Clarinet), Composition, Double Bass, Euphonium, Flute, French Horn, Guitar, Oboe, Percussion, Piano, Saxophone – Alto & Tenor, Trombone, Trumpet, Tuba, Viola, Violin, Voice
- Music Theory
- Speech & Drama Program: Drama & Performance, Voice & Communication
- Ensembles: Brass, Dance, Handbell, Jazz, Percussion, Piano, String Ensemble, Woodwind, Ensembles Workshops, Bands
- Music Ensembles Camp
- Music Tour
- Arts Festival
- Public Speaking
- Qld Catholic Colleges Music Festival School Production
Why choose All Hallows’ School
All Hallows’ has been offering a myriad of opportunities for girls to learn and thrive for over 155 years. The School’s holistic educational approach provides opportunities for personal, spiritual and intellectual development. The team of dedicated teachers and support staff nurture and challenge students as they develop key life skills that prepare them for University and life beyond. The campus features state-of-the-art facilities to support the broad range of academic and vocational courses offered.
All Hallows’ School is located at 47 Ann Street, Brisbane. For further information on the school or enrolments, visit www.ahs.qld.edu.au or call (07) 3831 3100.
Follow Us On Instagram
Keep Up To Date With Brisbane Kids!
Like our page to get the latest news & things to do in Brisbane with kids fresh in your newsfeed!