60 Of The Most Awesome Christmas Traditions
I wrote this blog, because as a mum with a young family I think it is important to start traditions for all sorts of special events. It just so happens that Christmas is my favourite time of year and so I begin my search for traditions to help build my own family traditions and in turn help you build yours. Please let us know if you plan to adopt any AND if you have any new ones. These traditions have been gathered through our Facebook page and through my general chattering among friends and the Brisbane Kids team.
Weird and Wonderful Christmas Traditions
1. Track Santa on Christmas Eve using the NORAD app
2. Place a Gift under the Kmart wishing tree- then place the card you get on your own Christmas tree at home.
3. New pjs, clean bedding and a bubble bath for everyone on Christmas eve
4. On Christmas Eve, give the family a fun new board game
5. Host a Dec 1st Xmas Feast Extravaganza with all the trimmings as a prelude to the big day- also good for those that don’t get to host the big meal. Decorate the tree, watch elf and have a dec 1st feast.
6. Visit the Brisbane Christmas lights.
7. Make a Christmas playlist
8. Make cookies for Santa and put out reindeer food on the letterbox… (oats with glitter in it is a fun idea < edible environmentally friendly glitter please)
9. Watch Polar Express on Xmas Eve
10. Let the kids stay awake and go to midnight mass
11. Get green and red handprints from your child- save them as a record in a spiral-bound display book
12. If you have friends with lots of kids, start a tradition of gifting their family a new Christmas decoration every year.
13. Drink cold iced chocolates while opening presents. If you are lucky enough to be having a White Christmas (aka not in Australia) then substitute with hot chocolate.
14. Dad can the kids out to search for the sleigh in the sky while playing secret Santa Music you can find here.
15. Have a treasure hunt to track down the presents from mum and dad and just put Santas presents under the tree.
16. Pack tiny presents in MASSIVE boxes.
17. Put potatoes in the stocking for all the “naughty” times we had in the year”. The bigger the potato the bigger the present u missed out on
18. Have a real tree (at least once) so the house smells like Christmas
19. Go into the city each year and have the kids choose a new decoration
20. All the adults stay up on Xmas eve and have a drink and open their presents at midnight
21. Take a trip into the city to see the Myer Xmas windows
22. Dress up in your ‘Sunday best’ for Christmas lunch- even if it only stays that way until the end of the meal.
23. Make batches of rocky road/coconut ice (whatever) for friends and family.
24. Have the Christmas photo every year of the whole family, you will thank yourself later.
25. Whenever you drive around at night play the Christmas lights games which is similar to the Jacaranda tree game where whenever you spot lights you have to yell “Christmas lights” and score points.
26. Have a Xmas day novelty secret santa- everyone buys a $10 silly present and draw out of the hat to decide who gets what.
27. All the neighbours get together for a champagne breakfast.
28. Put a gold/coin surprise in a Christmas pudding for someone to find.
29. Have a family game of water volleyball/cricket (or whatever) after Christmas lunch.
30. Make your own bonbons.
31. Play board games or festive-themed Christmas Games with Kids.
32. Light a candle on Christmas Day for anyone no longer with us
33. Make sure Santa’s wrapping paper doesn’t match yours (more of a tip than a tradition- but we love it!).
34. Want, Need, Wear and Read Gifts.
35. A Christmas Eve feast followed by a leftover Xmas lunch where everyone brings a plate
36. Go to a performance of Tchaikovsky’s “The Nutcracker” ballet
37. Take the dogs to the beach on Xmas day
38. Put the Christmas tree up November 1st and have the Christmas magic in your home for even longer
39. Watch the Grinch on Christmas Eve
40. Let the youngest put the star on top of the Christmas Tree
41. Attempt to make a gingerbread house every year
42. Gift everyone a Christmas mug on Christmas Eve and use for the entire month of December
43. Have stuffed eggs for Christmas Lunch
44.Challenge the kids to do a random act of kindness at some point in the month of December leading up until Christmas
45. Play cards in the afternoon/evening
46. Relish in a hot roast Lunch regardless of the heat
47. Enjoy chocolate for Breakfast
48. Bake something from the past like Nanna’s Trifle
49. Creaming Soda spiders on Xmas Eve
50. Help out a charity by donating some money or your time for their cause, Christmas can be a hard time of year for many
51. Having the kids make their own bauble every year
52. Read the Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve
53. If you are hosting Christmas, get everyone to bring a salad or dessert so you can relax!
54. Go to church
55. Open one present on Christmas eve
56. Go swimming in the afternoon
57. Make an early batch of Rum Balls…and then several more batches..
58. Head to a local community carols event
59. Bring out the elf and the shelf (or substitute) and have fun moving the elf to different spots every night
60. Give the neighbours novelty jellybeans as a present.
Regardless of the Christmas Traditions you do OR DONT adopt- we wish you and your family the best, the safest and the most magical Christmas you could hope for.