60 Of The Most Awesome Christmas Traditions
I wrote this blog, because as a mum with a young family I think it is important to start traditions for all sorts of special events. It just so happens that Christmas is my favourite time of year and so I begin my search for traditions to help build my own family traditions and in turn help you build yours. Please let us know if you plan to adopt any AND if you have any new ones. These traditions have been gathered through our Facebook page and through my general chattering among friends and the Brisbane Kids team.
1. Have kids stand outside a window and sing carols while the older folk sit at the window, throwing lollies, clapping and cheering.
2. Place a Gift under the Kmart wishing tree- then place the card you get on the tree.
3. Clean pjs, clean bedding and a bubble bath on Xmas Eve- with a Mr Matey Bubble Bath- I love my Mr MATEY!! PLEASE!!!
4. A stubby out for Santa, a bowl of milk and carrots for the reindeer and an old key for Santa to get in- to overcome the lack of chimney.
5. A Dec 1st Xmas Feast Extravaganza with all the trimmings as a prelude to the big day- also good for those that don’t get to host the big meal. Decorate the tree, watch elf and have a dec 1st feast.
6. Visit the Brisbane Christmas lights.
7. Hang real candy canes on the tree while listening to Xmas music- then have mum read Christmas stories.
8. Put out reindeer food on the letter box… It’s oats with glitter in it…
9. Watch Polar Express on Xmas Eve
10. Let the kids stay awake and go to midnight mass
11. Every Xmas get green and red handprints from your child- save them as a record
12. If you have friends with lots of kids, start a tradition of gifting their family a new Christmas decoration every year.
13. Ice chocolates for everyone while they open presents. If you are lucky enough to be having a White Christmas (aka not in Australia) then substitute with hot chocolate.
14. Dad takes the kids out to search for the sleigh in the sky while playing secret Santa Music you can find here.
15. Have a treasure hunt to track down mum and dads gift.
16. Pack tiny presents in MASSIVE boxes.
17. Put potatoes in the stocking for all the “naughty” times we had in the year”. The bigger the potato the bigger the present u missed out on (love this one hahahaha)
18. Cutting down a real tree so the house smells like Christmas
19. Go into the city each year and have the kids choose a new decoration
20. All the adults stay up on Xmas eve and have a drink and open their presents at midnight
21. Take a trip into the city to see the Myer Xmas windows
22. Dress up in your ‘Sunday best’ for Christmas lunch- even if it only stays that way until the end of the meal.
23. Make batches of rocky road/coconut ice (whatever) for friends and family.
24. Have the Christmas photo every year of the whole family, you will thank yourself later.
25. Whenever you drive around at night play the Christmas lights games which is similar to the Jacaranda tree game where whenever you spot lights you have to yell “Christmas lights” and score points.
26. Have a Xmas day novelty secret santa- everyone buys a $10 silly present and draw out of the hat to decide who gets what.
27. All the neighbours get together for a champagne breakfast.
28. Put a gold/coin surprise in a Christmas pudding for someone to find.
29. Have a family game of water volleyball/cricket (or whatever) after Christmas lunch.
30. Make your own bon bons.
31. Play board games or festive themed Christmas Games with Kids.
32. Get a special bauble made with a photo of any family members no longer with us to hand on the tree.
33. Make sure Santa’s wrapping paper doesnt match yours (more of a tip than a tradition- but we love it!).
34. Curried prawns on Xmas eve while drinking fluffy ducks.
35. A Christmas Eve feast followed by a left over xmas lunch where everyone brings a plate
36. Make cookies for Santas
37. Take the dogs to the beach on Xmas day
38. Put the Christmas tree up November 1st and have the Christmas magic in your home for even longer
39. Watch the Grinch on Christmas Eve
40. The youngest puts the star on top of the Christmas Tree
41. Attempt to make a gingerbread house every year
42. Parents dress as Mr and Mrs Clause
43. Stuffed eggs for Christmas Lunch
44. Have a water fight after lunch- even the grandparents get involved!
45. Play cards in the afternoon/evening
46. Hot Roast Lunch regardless of the heat
47. Chocolate for Breakfast
48. Making Nanna’s fruit cakes
49. Creaming Soda spiders on Xmas Eve
50. Help out a charity by donating some money or your time for their cause, Christmas can be a hard time of year for many
51. Having the kids make their own bauble every year
52. Read the night before xmas on xmas eve
54. Go to church
55. All presents opened on Christmas eve
56. Swimming in the afternoon
57. Make an early batch of Rum Balls…and then several more batches..
58. After a big feast during the day, dinner is trifle with toasted sandwiches
59. Bring out the elf and the shelf (or substitute) and have fun moving the elf to different spots every night
60. Give the neighbours novelty jellybeans as a present.
Regardless of the Christmas Traditions you do OR DONT adopt- we wish you and your family the best, the safest and the most magical Christmas you could hope for.