Things to do in Brisbane on Fathers Day
If you don’t yet have plans for Dad’s special day, don’t panic because we have an epic list of Things to do in Brisbane on Fathers Day. Better still, these are ideas the whole family will enjoy and most of them are low cost or free!
When is Father’s Day in 2019?
Father’s Day will be held in Australia on Sunday 1st September 2019.
Special Events on Father’s Day in Brisbane
Father’s Day Feast Buffet Lunch, Victoria Park
Victoria Park are set to host a Father’s Day Feast like no other! Hosted in one of their premier event spaces, their Father’s Day Feast is the ultimate buffet lunch for dad to really dig-in to from 11am – 2pm. Think mouth-watering roast meats served carvery style, with mixed roast veggies and gourmet salads. For the kids there will be a range of savoury delights such as mini sliders and chicken tenders. There’s also a kids corner with plenty of activities for kids aged 4 – 12. Plus after lunch you could always make it a fun day out for dad and challenge him to a game of putt putt, or show him how it’s done on the driving range. Victoria Park is the perfect place for Father’s Day activities with plenty for the whole family to do.
- Where: Victoria Park
- Cost: $55 per adult and $25 per child – Bookings essential
- Visit: https://victoriapark.com.au/whats-on/fathers-day-victoria-park/
Wynnum Manly Jazz Festival, Wynnum Foreshore
This year’s Wynnum Manly Jazz Festival is a perfect day out for the whole family – there’s delicious food, rides, activities for the kids and of course, amazing music. If the dad in your family appreciates music, why not pack a picnic (no glass items) and head to Bandstand Park on the beautiful foreshore in Wynnum for all the action. The event runs from 10.30am until 5.00pm and is free.
- Where: Bandstand Park, Wynnum
- Cost: Free
- Visit: https://www.brisbanekids.com.au/event/wynnum-manly-jazz-festival/
Heritage Train Rides, Woodford
Take Dad on a heritage train ride at Woodford Railway Station where they the whole family can ride on the Heritage Railway using locomotives and carriages from the Australian Sugar mill railway systems of years past. A return trip takes approximately 20 minutes and there are BBQ facilities nearby to make a day of it and have a picnic. The train operate between 10am and 3.30pm.
- Where: Woodford Railway Station
- Cost: Adults – $6, Pensioners – $4.50, Children (5yrs -15yrs) – $3, Children (5 and under) – free,Family – $20
- Visit: https://www.angrms.org.au/
Kite Flying, Clontarf
Come on down to Pelican Park between 11 am and 3 pm for a kite workshop where you will get a lesson on how to build you own kite with a portion of the proceeds going to A Chance For Change. And if the weather permits the Kites QLD team will be flying their spectacular kites!
- Where: Pelican Park, Clontarf
- Cost: free for spectators, kite workshop additional cost
- Visit: https://www.brisbanekids.com.au/event/fathers-day-kite-flying/
Fathers Day at the Deer Sanctuary
Bring Dad and relax at the Lyell Deer Sanctuary, with deer feeding and cuddles, barista coffee, beer, BBQ, craft for the kids and live music.
- Where: Lydell Deer Sanctuary
- Cost: $10 per family/group (up to 6 people). Deer pellets $1 per bag.
- Visit: https://www.brisbanekids.com.au/event/fathers-day-at-the-deer-sanctuary/
Serbian Festival, Dutton Park State School
Bring Dad along to Dutton Park State School for the annual Serbian Festival. The festival will offer a spectacular showcase of Serbian culture, food, values, entertainment and traditions. Entry is free.
- Where: Dutton Park State School
- Cost: Free entry
- Visit: https://www.brisbanekids.com.au/event/serbian-festival/
Boaters and Beers
Celebrate Father’s Day with a fun, relaxed and family friendly day. The Newstead House bar will be open so indulge in a cool craft brew, so sit back and relax with some brass and bagpipes and the flavours of local food trucks. Experience heritage games on the green and an afternoon by the river with South Brisbane Federal Band and the Queensland Irish Association Pipe Band.
- Where: Newstead House
- Cost: Free entry
- Visit: https://www.brisbanekids.com.au/event/boaters-and-beers/
Come and play with the drawing machines at the Ipswich Art Gallery. From swinging pendulums and spinning discs, the drawing machines will take your Brisbane Kids drawing to the next level, not to mention they will have lots of fun experimenting with all the machines.
Make a frenzy of marks with wind-up mice and chickens, swing the pendulum table and see magic spirals appear and experiment with a giant Spirograph to create large geometric designs. Every drawing made by these mesmerizing machines is one of a kind and Brisbane Kids have the choice to take their drawings home or hang them in the exhibition.
- Where: Ipswich Art Gallery
- Cost: Free
- Visit: https://www.ipswichartgallery.qld.gov.au/allevents/drawing-machines-2/
Brisbane Bayside Steam Railway
A great day out for the whole family, take Dad on a miniature steam train ride through the bushland and bring along a picnic to enjoy in the park- just remember to wear enclosed footwear!
- Where: Bayside Brisbane Steam Railway, Wynnum West
- Cost: $2.00 donation for a ride, or buy a bulk ticket (7 rides for $10). Children under 6 ride free with a paying adult.
- Visit: https://www.facebook.com/BrisbaneBaysideSteamRailwaySociety/
Ben Quilty: Family Portrait
Brisbane Kids will be able to have fun as they draw a portrait of a family member or a friend following an instructional video with tips from Olivia, play with colour and distortion to create a digital self-portrait, and experience Ben’s work in a new way through painting replicas that you can touch.
- Where: GOMA
- Cost: Free
- Visit: https://www.qagoma.qld.gov.au/whats-on/kids/ben-quilty-family-portrait
NASA – A Human Adventure
Bring your Brisbane Kids along to The Queensland Museum to discover the the largest exhibition ever hosted at Queensland Museum. Come face to face with NASA’s remarkable achievements in human space flights and space exploration – the greatest adventure that humans have ever undertaken. Discover the exciting history of rocket science and space flight, and learn about some of the most extraordinary accomplishments in space technology.
While you are at The Queensland Museum checking out this awesome exhibition, you could make a whole day of it and check out Wild State, the Discovery Centre, Lost Creatures and more all for FREE!
- Where: Queensland Museum
- Cost: Free entry to the Queensland Museum. NASA Exhibition costs $58 per family of 4, $21 per adult, $12 per child (3-15 years).
- Visit: http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Events+and+Exhibitions/Exhibitions/2019/03/NASA+-+A+Human+Adventure#.XC7BdVwzZil
And remember if you want to find some other fun things to do with dad on Father’s Day the whole family will love, check out the Brisbane Kids event calendar!
Fun Things to do with Dad in Brisbane
Dads enjoy a break from cooking too, and there are many Brisbane eateries that offer special father’s day breakfasts, brunches, lunches and dinners. Make sure you check out Eatons Hill Hotel and The Sandstone Point Hotel who are offering buffet breakfast and lunch with free rides, face painting and live entertainment. Click here to view our list of family friendly cafes and restaurants in Brisbane. Be sure to book in though as they will fill up fast!
This is an inexpensive way to spoil Dad and enjoy the beautiful Spring weather. Brisbane and its surrounding areas boast hundreds of beautiful picnic spots and we have reviewed the best of them here.
Head to the beach, the rainforest, the mountains, the country side or the city – we have lots of ideas you can surprise dad with in our explore Brisbane and day trip reviews. Make it a Father’s Day to remember!
Check out our events calendar for further inspiration!