The Top 10 Ways to soothe your baby with music
How do you soothe your baby with music? here are some ideas
Written by Vicky Abad, owner of Boppin Babies and Qualified Music Therapist. Boppin’ Babies is a fun and stimulating Brisbane music program specifically designed by a music therapist to enhance your baby or toddlers’ development and your knowledge of using music as a learning tool in the home. All music is performed live.
1. Sing to your baby!!
Babies love their mother’s voice more than anything else in the world so sing like nobody is listening (except for your baby of course!!)
2. Jiggle baby gently up and down while saying “shshsh” in time with the movement.
Babies respond to a rhythm that matches their mood. So if they are worked up, gentle rocking may not work straight away.
3. Gently rock your baby while humming.
Once bub has calmed a little they will feel secure if they hear your voice singing or humming while being gentled cradled and moved in time with the music.
4. Stroke baby’s face downwards from the temple to the bridge of the nose in time with your singing, lengthening the strokes as they settle.
5. Listen to a Lullaby CD together.
Lullabies are wonderful tools for soothing babies as they are songs written and orchestrated specifically to calm.
6. Use calming music while bathing baby.
Classical music that is even in tempo like Bach, Mozart and Albonini are great for helping us slow down, breathe deeply and relax. This will be good for you too!
7. Use calming music to transition to sleep.
Have quiet gentle music of your choice playing in the nursery while preparing for bed and use this as a cue to baby that you are preparing them for sleep.
8. Give bub a little massage while listening to the gentle music playing prior to bed.
9. If all else fails – dance for bub!! Try a distraction;
10. Then go back to singing – at least you will feel better even if bub is still unsettled.
Singing songs and lullabies is good for Mums as well as bubs and the dancing might help relieve a little physical stress too.
For other ideas with babies you can check out our Top 10 Ideas on how to play with babies